I Forge Iron

i'm a new blacksmith

Thill

Howdy y'all. I'm moving up to northwest Arkansas at the end of July and starting my own smithing journey.  I'm sure I'll have a million questions,  but for now I'll spend my time reading the pinned posts so hopefully I don't ask to many of the same old questions. I look forward to knowing you all.

Welcome aboard Thill, glad to have you. About asking the same questions that have been answered thousands of times. THOSE are THE questions a person needs to ask to learn the craft so don't sweat it. By all means read through the sections and get an idea of what you think you need to know. We all did and still do that. After a while you build up enough knowledge base to ask good questions and understand answers. 

A couple beginner mistakes to avoid. Don't wait to get all the "right" tools before you start. The tools don't do the work, the smith does, the tools are just highly refined dirt without him. The smith can do good work on a boulder with a cobble tied to a stick and a tunnel fire facing into the wind. Besides more than half what you collect isn't going to suit you before long. 

Another real common corner guys paint themselves into is making a blade before they learn to forge at a proficient level. Doing both at once means climbing two related but different learning curves at the same time. Blade smithing is mostly about heat management, hammer control being the strong second. Hardenable steels are harder to move hot and they're really fussy about little things.

Learn to forge first and learning to forge blades is ONLY adjusting heat management, you'll have already developed the feel for steel under than hammer so if it fights more its not a thing.

Make sense?

Like puns?:)

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome from/to the Ozark mountains. You are located in the middle of the BOA NW chapter. The best way to learn is to get some live exposure to the craft. One way to do that is to attend some meetings of a club.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/187-blacksmith-organization-of-arkansas/

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus