I Forge Iron

Forced air burner producing carbon monoxide

Iron Kitten Forge

Hello, i need some advice. I picked up a used home built forge. The issue came when i was lighting it the first time. A minute after i lit it both of my carbon monoxide detectors started going crazy so i immediately shut off the forge and went outside. I've been searching around for tips on tuning one of these forced air burners without much luck. My best guess is that I'm not getting enough air flow/pressure? 

You still have way too much (and too soft) flame incoming to be completely combusted within the forge. I suggest that you keep after further burner improvements. You could start by posting some photos of the burner, so that we can advice you about what to change.

Turn the propane psi DOWN! Even if hose length "friction" were a factor you are feeding your burners TOO MUCH PROPANE!

A CO alarm going off means there is unburned fuel exiting the forge. Excess carbon monoxide (incompletely burned fuel) in the exhaust means there is too much fuel for the combustion air supply.

One of the draw backs of a gun burner that is NOT self regulating is the REQUIREMENT of adjusting both gas and air when you turn them up or down. Learning to read the flame is imperative for the safety of you and anyone else in the building the quality of your work  is effected of course but is a distant second to poisoning yourself and or others. 

The all caps isn't to yell at you, it's only for emphasis, as it sits now lighting your burners is VERY dangerous. I'd adjust them outside while standing in a cross breeze until you learn how to tune it.

Frosty The Lucky.