I Forge Iron

Metalsmithing - Split Cross Question

I would like to make some split cross pendants, I have some 1/4 round low carbon steel lying around that I think would work well for this. My question is, can I use a jeweler's saw to cut the steel to length and to make the slits in it, or would I be better off trying to use a dremel tool?

If neither one of those are the way I should do it, what is the best way?

Most split crosses I've seen, or even the few I've done myself, are made from square bar stock.  I think you may have some trouble with the quantity of steel in each twisted arm not being sufficient if you use round.  Of course that might make selection of a jewelers saw a good choice, rather than the more standard hacksaw or portaband.  Hopefully you are patient and have fairly aggressive jeweler's saw blades.  Why not try it out and see for yourself?  If you don't know this trick already, you might want to periodically put some paraffin wax on you blade to lubricate while sawing.

The trick with smaller stock of any shape is to keep the width of the kerf proportional to the size of the stock.  If you are cutting 1/2" on a band or hack saw the width of the kerf is negligible.  If you are using the same blade on smaller stock you are eating up a much higher proportion of the metal with th blade.  I'd try a dremel with a thin composite cutting blade first because it would be faster.  If that didn't work I'd try a jewler's saw.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Sawing the stock will be easier if you square it up a LITTLE. Lay it flat on the anvil and give it a hit with a flatter and hammer, then rotate it 90* and hit it again. When I say use a flatter any flat bar will work so long as you can hold it parallel to the anvil's face and hit it centered on the stock. It will put flats on 4 sides which will make saw cuts much easier to keep straight.

Frosty The Lucky.