I Forge Iron

Are these types of anvils?

I’m sorting through my late father’s tools.  He was not into blacksmithing at all, but he had these steel (iron?) blocks on his bench.  I believe an older friend gave them to him.  Can you help identify what they are, how they may have been used and what they might be worth?  The smaller one weighs 20#. The larger one weighs 40#.  It has some markings which I’ve researched without success.  Appreciate any help you can offer.  Oh — and I’m a complete novice, so if you can ‘splain it in layman’s terms, that would be great!

35BA6542-4501-45DF-A1F5-A10F64A18A50.jpeg

B20CF893-D46D-4AEA-A104-02EAA6EB612A.jpeg

D5607202-2333-489E-8271-500681D5C28A.jpeg

BDD0FC8D-5469-4226-9F03-CD4BE94FCFB2.jpeg

45C2BE70-E6D9-4AF4-AED4-5A00E0D75090.jpeg

Welcome aboard Deanna, glad to have you. Those look like press dies to me or perhaps closed forge dies. The first one with the shallow round depression looks like it's a top die, perhaps used to drive round stock into a lower die. The depression might be to prevent the stock from slipping out. That one isn't distinct enough to guess at a purpose.

The second one with the rectangular depression is distinct enough and has what I'd call finish details to call it a forming die with confidence.

As to value I'd have to say they're worth scrap price unless you find someone who wants or needs a bench anvil, a beginner jeweler perhaps and they'd be more interested in a side or the bottom after polishing. A blacksmith might be interested as a traveling or demo anvil

I can't make out the words but I'm thinking they are plant or manufacturer names and the numbers are just part numbers.

Frosty The Lucky.

Along with the dies for a press, I have seen some like that used by a tinsmith on the bench. As far as worth like Frosty said, unless you can find a Jeweler or specialty Smith that needs or wants them. Probably would sell for ten or twenty U.S. dollars each.

Might try listing them in the Tailgating section to see if you get any responses. (be sure and read the rules) if you decide to do that.