I Forge Iron

new to blacksmithing

I'm new to blacksmithing and I need some experienced blacksmith to answer my question.I can make a forge and all related equipment but where I live in northern nevada I can't get any coal to work with,but I have access to a LOT of wood from a pallet manufacturer, and could this be used in a forge to do metal work?any advice will be appreciated,thanks!

Welcome aboard!!! Well I use charcoal I make myself, of course I'm sure I waste alot more than needed to make it, but you know. I basically get my fire pit ready and burn a load of wood and when I'm finished for the night water it down and what's left from the fire I use as the coal. Now, the common practice of it can be done by using a 55 gal drum loading it full of wood setting it on fire and as it drops below the lip of the drum you place a metal sheet to kind of smother the flames and let sit till the drum is cool. but a couple of things to remeber in this or any method of creating it make sure you never use excellerants ( gas, lighter fluids ect.) as it could make the end product toxic or put you at unessesary risk of getting injured, also whatever you burn it in make sure you know it's origins. for examples drums that used to carry any oil or chemicals, probably not a good idea unless you have a proffesional clean it out, and containers that are galvanized extremely dangerous b/c of Fume fever. I hope this kinda gets you gears turning, but as Glenn says research it in this great library of information! Good luck.