I Forge Iron

Old Grossinger

airvhue

Hello my name is James Douglas - I traveled from South Carolina to out an old Gosiger press, needed work but I hauled it back from Zion, Illinois to give it a try.  I located it into an old 1925 Western Union Telegraph Office with hopes to get it working and do some simple striking of coins with dies I created over the past 20 years - maybe sell a little coffee - and encourage others to embrace old world arts as an Atelier. All was going well - got it in safely began clean up some repairs, *Then this tough break. Any suggestions ? Repair of would I have better luck finding a replacement part ? media below in hopes of better explaining the saga.. Thanks 

overview.jpg

press-part.jpg

six.jpg

three.jpg

four.jpg

five.jpg

IMG_7100.jpg

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.

Gosiger Machinery Co. is still in business, A google search brings their site right up. I would try them first for the part. If it's not available then a good welder familiar with cast iron can weld it up but a new part would be better for sure.

PS: The media is unintelligible audio only.

Welcome aboard for 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

As Irondragon says, if you can't get a replacement part you may be able to have the broken part repaired.  If that cannot be done a machine shop may be able to make a replacement.  It may need to be simplified, e.g. do you really need the "ears" with the hole (one of which is broken off?  For that matter, would it function with the missing chunk gone or is that somehow necessary for mounting?

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome aboard, Airvhue,  glad to have you. I was about to berate you most severely for breaking that ear by beating it with a hammer, then the pic of the broken surfaces shows it's clearly been cracked for a while. 

It lasted long enough cracked in use to hammer much of the crack smooth, It'll braze and be plenty strong. It needs to be brazed by someone who knows what they're doing.

I'd still check on a replacement part, new IS better than repaired. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

It kind of looks to me like a defective casting to start with.  In the fourth picture down it looks like the lug/ear laying on the table, lower right, has porosity.  I would buy a replacement if available or have a new part made.  In the fifth photo down it almost looks like somebody tried to repair it by welding once already.