I Forge Iron

100 ton screwpress vs 150kg Beche powerhammer for stainless damascus

Lateralus

Hi everybody,

I hope you can help me with this question. I have already made some stainless damascus on my little 20 ton hydraulic press (33mm/s ramspeed), I succeeded but I had to make the stainless so hot that I got too much grain growth so this is not the way to go. At normal colder temperatures (1100 degrees Celsius max) the press won´t forge the steel.

Years ago I bought his 150kg Beche LV4 powerhammer. I never installed it because I was in a rented building. I am 100% sure this hammer is strong enough to forge the stainless, you can see Devin Thomas using the exact same hammer. Recently I bought a new workshop so I might install it, but I am not 100% percent sure I will stay here so I don't really like the idea of putting 6000 euro's worth of concrete etc in the ground. The alternative is a 100-200mm thick steel plate on special air inflated machine dampers but the steel plate with current steel prices will be +/- 15000 euro and the dampers +/- 4000. I can do a lot of other things with that money..

So I was looking at this 100 ton Berrenberg – RSPW 125/100 screwpress, I attached a photo. Do you think press will be strong enough to forge 120*40*120mm stainless blocks? I know Marco Guldimann used a similar but smaller press for his carbon damascus, you can see him working with it in the video.

Thanks for you input!

Kind regards,

Johan van Zanten
www.vanzantenmessen.nl/galerie/

IMAG0798.jpg

29228-img2513-scaled.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention why I like the screwpress, the flywheel accumulates a lot of energy, so with a relatively small (7,5kW) motor, you can have lots of forging impact. The beche powerhammer also does this to some extent but has a 18,5kW motor. I got 3x25A electrical mains so the 40A motor is a bit on the larger side. Further more, the screwpress won't need a big and heavy fundament.

I think I should also mention I only need the machine (powerhammer of screwpress) for drawing out stainless billets. Most other operations can be done by the small hydraulic press.

I know methods of grain refining by normalizing carbon steel by heat treatment, but these methods would take hours and hours in stainless, so I don't think this is an option. My metallurgy is not completely up to date, but I did investigate this: https://japaneseknifereviews.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/reducing-grain-size-in-pattern-welded-damascus-steel.pdf

If anybody knows a method to do this in stainless, I'm all ears ;)