I Forge Iron

First completed knife

jmhallrn

Sorry, I forgot to post the specs. This started as .125 x 1.5 1095. Rough forged to shape including bevels, then finished on the grinder. The handle is purple heart and copper pins. It should get more purple over the next few days. Still trying to decide on the best finish for the wood. The oil/wax I did won't last long in the kitchen.

• 3 weeks later...

Really nice first knife,  I always like purple heart but last time I used any it warped almost as fast as it when across my table saw blade.   What did you use for a grinder? My first knives I flipped a belt sander over and clamped it to a work bench.   I still will do that occasionally. 

My wife got me a Bucktool 2x42 for my birthday while I was in the midst of this project. It took a little modification to use the scotchbrite belts, but it is doing a good job until I get hooked enough to buy or build a variable speed 2x72.

When she got me this one I was concerned it would be underpowered. My only other experience was with HF 4x36 sanders or handheld belt sanders. I was very surprised how quickly the 2x42 eats steel away. I can see slowing it down could keep my mistakes smaller, for sure.

I have looked at building the 2x72, but the cost of variable speed isn't justifiable for me right now. Too many other toys to come first. And without the variable speed it just doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade for someone like me who can take their time.