I Forge Iron

Hi all.

Well, we've finally arived in Australia. :D
On the Gold Coast for now, but may move depending on what happens work - wise.

I'm really keen to get moving with blacksmithing, having started to learn in the U.K. To this end I have e-mailed the ABA of NSW, and am hoping to attend the demo day at the Hot Iron Muster. I'd love to attend the whole week, but finances preclude that.
Still, I hope to meet some of you there.

And carrying on from that, is anyone here willing to let me work / volunteer for them on occasion in order to further my kowledge & skills?

For what it may be worth, I have various qualifications in engineering, work in refrigeration / air conditioning, and have done blacksmith courses in the U.K. with Bob Oakes, Peat Oberon & Owen Bush. I have also done some bladesmithing & have a reasonable understanding of pattern welding.

All the best
Matt

Wanna bet? ;)

I was astonished how much there was in France & Italy. Assisi in particular was very rich in seriously good wrought iron work.

I'll get them up as soon as I have my own PC & internet connection, or can get enough time at an i-cafe, I promise. :)

Hi Ratel,
Welcome to sometimes sunny Qld!
I just found a link to a forge nearby to you, in the Gold Coast hinterland:
The Village Smith - Events
Looks like there is a gathering there each year.
There is also an annual get-together in Stanthorpe, which is further inland, held in July (The Great Dragonwehr Smite) which I've been to, and it's great fun.
The local one here looks unlikely to go ahead now, as the smithy has closed shop. I managed to score a handcranked blower from him, so hope you didn't drag too many over with you!

Cheers,
Makoz

Hi mate.

No, I didn't get any in the end. In fact, I haven't even managed to get an anvil! :o:mad: Time just got too short.
It's a real shame that the Toowoomba Smithy's closed. But I'll be a cheecky beggar anyway & ask if there's any equipment going :P - or is that the stuff I saw on fleabay?

It the Muster @ the Village Smith that I'm planing to go to on the demo day. ;)

Ratel10mm,

I did a web search of AUSSIE smiths sites ( not google ) & this is what i came up with

australian blacksmiths association - Live Search

For some reason i can't find the ABA web site ( AUSSIE blacksmiths association )
The ave'a chapter down here in Melbourne , good blokes ( pity theys so far from here )

This mob ain't far from me & is where i buy my coke from Mont De Lancey Blacksmithing Group

Just tryin' ta give youse a feel for the place bloke

Dale Russell

Ow Do Ratel10mm (you got a proper name I can use? :) Peat Oberon's a gent, met him earlier this year, you should also try and track down Brian Russell too when you get back.

Anyways, I spent a year down under and can recommend a few places and blokes well worth your time, depending on where you intend to go (Its a ruddy big place after all).

The Hot Iron Muster is a good event, Alan Balls not a bad bloke and a good Smith, it's great for networking and picking up contacts. I met Dan Davies (multi award winner) there and blagged an invite up to his Farm in Gympie, and Wayne Saunders too who's the Resident Smith at Timbertown in Wauchope to name two. Dales a VERY good smith (although he denies it) and an even better 'Bloke' who 'made' my trip to Oz and Mont De Lancey is just down the road from him (Melbourne), it's also WELL worth a look if you can put up with 'The Bowler Hat' (in joke, sorry) or Oskar as he's known. The ABA lads I met with Dale were a fantastic bunch of guys and there were a couple of old timers that have forgotten more about Smithing than I'll ever know. They're well worth the trouble of tracking down.
If you get up around Sydney then you HAVE to go see Glenn Moon, end of story. The Man is a genius on the big hammers, and as mad as a Badger in the BEST way possible. I'm trying to juggle 'everything' to make it to the first 'Get Hammered' Event, it should be great.
Over on the West coast Perth is a good place to go, there's the BAWA, if I remember rightly theres an old English Smith who lives that way who was instrumental within the Rural Developement Committee (those nice free books), but I never made it over that far (yet :D)

Edited by Ian

G'day Matt, sorry for not replying sooner, but I just got out of hospital yesterday after a brief "adventure"! Anyway, if you find your way to Perth, be sure to look us up at the blacksmith's association of Western Australia. We meet every Sunday at our workshop, which is located in the grounds of The Royal Agricultural Society. We welcome visiting smiths. If you wanted to work in our shop, it's just a matter of chipping in a $10 visitor's fee for the day, into the shop's cash box and sign in as a visitor. You would be made most welcome. Hope all goes well for you here in Oz. Regards, Brian.