I Forge Iron

Choice acid for etching steel

Heavy hammer

What is yalls choice acid for etching steel? I have used a few different acids and I can get really good results with mild steel and ferric chloride but for high carbon steels it doesn't affect. What acids and process have worked for yall? I usually put a piece in for a long period 

Thanks for the response! I've been doing weeks of research and I'm planning on trying my hand at wootz following al pendrays methodology. I was wondering what the best acid would be for steel in this category as far as I know carbon iron and vanadium are the most prevalent metals the rest are in ppm.

I'm no metallurgist, but I remember the patterning of wootz has to do with the carbides that precipitate out (I think the vanadium facilitates this). So you pretty much have a monosteel with bands of carbides interspersed throughout the material; that's different from the etch/resist patterning of modern damascus. I think FC is still the way to go, but have no idea what the concentration of the FC should be (I usually dilute mine) or the soak time. I remember seeing a really interesting thread on crucible steel on this site. Have you done a site search on the topic yet?

Sounds like you'll want to experiment with different acids (ferric, muriatic, vinegar maybe, coffee etc.) and see what results you get. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of contrast until you get the whole process right, but what do I know?

37 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Traditionally Zag was used; have you read the thread on Wootz Etch at bladesmithsforum.com ?  

I have not, but I will now! I believe in a video I watched al used nital witch will probably be what I do. I'm trying to follow his work almost religiously, i apologize for asking when I knew of nital and had just forgotten it

34 minutes ago, Frazer said:

I'm no metallurgist, but I remember the patterning of wootz has to do with the carbides that precipitate out (I think the vanadium facilitates this).

No this is great info thank you! You are correct the pattern is not dependant on etching IT is dependent on the carbide structure throughout the steel. However to make whatever pattern I do get stand out a little more I plan on doing a short Etch. Thank you a bunch!

Edited by Mod30
Trim quotes.

I was the assistant when Al did the demo for Quad-State one year just to be able to ask him questions...Nital is one of the common metallurgy etchants that most hobby folks are not aware of, (or have access to: like the picric acid etches that get you on certain lists just for asking about sources...)

What's that old saying: "Don't etch your steel before it's cast!"

DanielC was the guy I was thinking of that was exploring crubible steels. He shared some interesting pictures here and here . It seems like quite the process to undertake. I'm not sure where I'd start!

Maybe you could reach out to him, he hasn't visited since July 2021, but who knows. He can probably give much better info than any video.

P.S. welcome aboard, please read this first. You'll find useful information in there to help you get the most out of the site.

P.P.S No need to quote my whole post, especially if it's the one just before. If there is one line/statement you wish to respond to, you can highlight it and click the "Quote Selection" box that appears. This saves bandwidth and people from needing to read the same thing twice. No hard feelings, just a general housekeeping note.

See if you can dig up a copy of Dr Feuerbach's Thesis on Crucible Steel in Central Asia;  if you like to know the historical background of things.  I was able to get a copy on disc when it was offered to members of the Archeological Metallurgy mailing list  way back when.     I also have a copy of the massive thesis on the monsoon wind driven smelters of Sri Lanka where they were making crucible steel.  Also  "Steel Making Before Bessemer: v. 2: Crucible Steel - The Growth of Technology"  by K.C. Barraclough 

OUCH---some of those are now several times what I bought them for!  Definitely try ILL *first*!