I Forge Iron

Connecting burner to propane

ihavea4

Hi all, first post here. I'm in the middle of building my first forge setup, and I followed Frosty's T Burner instructions as closely as I possibly could. The burner came together just fine, but I'm seriously struggling trying to understand how to hook up my propane bottle. I got the parts listed in the guide, but also added a needle valve and shutoff ball valve. After looking around a bit, I noticed pictures of people with the rubber hose connected directly to the back of the burner, but my fittings are all wrong for that since I have  a flare fitting. (I know basically nothing about plumbing and these fittings, so please go easy) What kind of connector/fitting do I need to hook up directly to the propane hose, and is that recommended? I can't seem to find anything that is similar to what's listed in Frosty's guide, and I don't want to have 10 different adapters throughout my setup, haha.

Ideally, I think I'd like a needle valve right after the burner to adjust the amount of propane in my forge, then a shutoff valve somewhere near the forge itself in case I need to kill the gas quickly, then the hose would go over to the regulator/propane tank. Does that sound reasonable or am I making it too complicated?

Thanks for your help!

Propane hose connects to standard tapered pipe thread. Don't quote me but I THINK 3/8"MPT. 

I recommend you put the 1/4 turn shut off valve on the output port of the regulator. That way if something goes wrong, say a screaming HOT piece of steel falls on the hose, cuts it and there's a cheery bright flame at your feet you can shut it off as far from the fire as possible.  Make sense?

Needle valves are good for fine adjustment. They control the volume of flow and work just fine next in line between the shut off valve and propane hose. Putting either of these valves close to the burner doesn't improve things.

In fact putting the shut off valve at the burner means everything from the regulator to that valve is under pressure when the burner is shut off. Having it at the regulator means the entire propane circuit after the regulator is depressurized and can NOT leak. 

You can plumb it like you say above it's just not my preference, I'm kind of conservative where safety is concerned. 

You've kept it nicely simple, you done good.

Give me a shout if you have questions.

Frosty The Lucky.

I live rural in New Mexico and I can go to the local propane place or even Ace Hardware and say I need to connect these two things together and they will build an assembly for it on the spot.   (Of course after a couple of decades using propane forges I tend to scrounge fittings at the scrapyard and build my own now.)