I Forge Iron

Coal?

I have used anthracite coal since I started forging with satisfactory results. The nice thing about it is no smoke except when I use wood to get it started and no smell. I recently did a week long demo at our county fair. I had a fellow come up to me and ask what iI was using for fuel. He said he could always smell a blacksmith's forge but couldn't smell mine. The key to anthracite is good quality. I am fortunate to live in a coal mining county with a good supply of local high quality coal. Forge welding is tricky since it doesn't produce coke as the coal burns. the carbon content is higher which helps me case harden mild steel for chisels and punches. My advise would be to try some if you can get a small amount and see how you like it.

I use the coal from Aubuchon all the time. It is good blacksmith coal from the pocahontas vain # 3, I think it is called saint nicholas coal. Aubuchon stores are located all over New England including NY. Also check the sticky at the top of this forum for the coal supplier list I am trying to build with all of the help I can get from members, you may find another supplier located by you. If you find and use a new supplier not on the list please add them to the list.

Without having tried the coal you are looking at we can't say; we're only guessing. My suggestion is to try a bit, see if they have a broken bag you could get cheap or a 5 gallon bucket worth if they sell in bulk.

if it works well then you're ok if it works poorly then don't buy anymore.