I Forge Iron

Cutting a hole in my Ferriers Forge

ElijahJMHutchinson

Hey guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. I have a forgemaster ferriers forge that I've been running for a while and the depth of the forge prevents me from working longer pieces of steel. I was thinking of cutting a 2" hole out the back of the forge so that I could use it for knife making as well as other long projects. Has anyone done this or does anyone have a recommendation for me? I am hesitant to cut a hole in my 600 dollar forge without asking experienced folks about it. Thank you  guys!

Funny, over the Christmas Break I swapped out my old homemade coal forge with an *older* one that had a cast iron firepot and a true glass enamel hood that fit it.  I had to cut a pass through in the enameled metal hood and in the shop wall behind it---made it to fit a firebrick so I can block it off when not needed.

Have you talked with the manufacturer about this?  I would think it was not that rare of a modification?