I Forge Iron

Hello again, and a request

Hello, it has been a while since I've been here (about 8 years).  I recognize a lot of names, so hopefully some will remember me.

I've recently changed jobs and I'm reassessing some things.  I haven't used my power hammer in about 8 years and it has been 7 years since I took my compressor head apart to fix a broken ring and still haven't gotten it back together.

I've also gotten into CNC more (old and new day job) and would like more space.

I'm looking for suggestions on what my Kinyon style hammer and compressor (and 3 ph converting VFD) are worth so I can price them appropriately.  I know I can just get rid of them for scrap, but I'd like to find them good homes.

I'm probably going to keep my smaller anvil and forge so I can do the occasional bit of blacksmithing as needed, but I doubt I'm ever going to be making pattern welded stock again.

Thanks!

(Waves to Glen, Thomas, and Frosty)

Thanks.  Will do.  Was also planning on asking on TheForge too.  Given the weights involved, I was expecting pretty much only semi-local buyers.

I hope things are going reasonable well with you.  I still see Flaxy/Ariadne on the book of faces occasionally.

Welcome back. I'm in the same general area as you, just south of Allentown, in Quakertown. I don't have any idea of pricing, but I'm possibly interested. The local ABANA affiliate is PABA (Pa Artist-Blacksmith Assoc.). If you go to their website (www.pabasite.org) there is a link to their facebook page. That should get you started.

Steve

Torin; I'm still blacksmithing and in the SCA; took a forge to the last two metalworker's guild moots.  Haven't heard from Flaxy and Steve for YEARS, been here in NM going on 18 years next month. Still got my Laurel medallion made from a piece of a Pennsic bloom.

We're interested in doing a smelting run out here; got any ore?

Thomas, how much iron ore do you need?  Once the snow goes away I could probably get a few hundred pounds.  There are several old iron mines within a couple of hours of here.  Hopefully, once the covids go away and travel is safe we will be going to Albuquerque to see Madelyn's daughter and granddaughter.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Don't need much if it's high grade---Y1K smelting doesn't have the best recovery rate.  Say a couple of cat litter pails of it.  Limonite, Goethite and Magnetite work well.   Taconite pellets not so well---they are engineered for blast furnaces.    I could meet you in Albuquerque.  Lets see how things go!

On 12/29/2021 at 3:21 PM, Stash said:

Welcome back. I'm in the same general area as you, just south of Allentown, in Quakertown. I don't have any idea of pricing, but I'm possibly interested. The local ABANA affiliate is PABA (Pa Artist-Blacksmith Assoc.). If you go to their website (www.pabasite.org) there is a link to their facebook page. That should get you started.

Thanks Steve.  I did get ahold of PABA's facebook page and the person there said they would post the offer for me to the members.  Let me know if you want to come by and check them out and make an offer.  I'm about 10-15 minutes south of you on 309.

On 12/29/2021 at 6:24 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Torin; I'm still blacksmithing and in the SCA; took a forge to the last two metalworker's guild moots.  Haven't heard from Flaxy and Steve for YEARS, been here in NM going on 18 years next month. Still got my Laurel medallion made from a piece of a Pennsic bloom.  We're interested in doing a smelting run out here; got any ore?

For those that don't know, I first met Thomas after I'd collected a few pounds of magnetite sand from the shore of Lake Cascade in Idaho to use for an iron smelting run.  Then I bought about 1000 pounds of powdered magnetite for future runs.  It was the smallest amount I could order.

However I don't have any left, sorry.

Actually there is a Goethite mine just out of town here; but it's still in someone's "claim" last I checked.  A coworker told me about a magnetite source about an hours away, most of that 4wd and a complex series of directions; I'll buy the topo maps in the spring.

And, of course, I'm saving my scale to recycle. It may have some good alloying elements in it too.