I Forge Iron

Quick question regarding forge volume

Isaiah Streblow

Hey, everybody, first time posting.

Working on building my first proper propane forge (emphasis on proper, I built one before that was trash) and I'm dumb, honestly. I'm reading that a 3/4" T-burner will heat 350 cu. in. of space, and I'm not sure how people are getting that figure. Do you calculate the space of the forge before or after insulation/forge floor?

For example, I'm thinking of using a tank shell that's 14" in diameter and 20" long. I'm guessing two burners would be adequate, since I've seen a couple 7 gal. propane tank builds on here with two burners, and I believe those are 12" x 24". However, even figuring 2" of ceramic wool all the way around the inside of a 14" x 20" tank, that's still 1500+cu. in.... right?

I'm sure the solution here is obvious and my sleep-deprived brain isn't seeing it, but I'm primarily wondering a) whether the tank I'm considering for a shell is way too big for beginner work and I should drastically scale down, and b) am I calculating the forge size/number of burners correctly, or not at all?

Thanks for bearing with my questions,

Isaiah

32 minutes ago, Isaiah Streblow said:

and I'm not sure how people are getting that figure. Do you calculate the space of the forge before or after insulation/forge floor?

After.

32 minutes ago, Isaiah Streblow said:

I'm thinking of using a tank shell that's 14" in diameter and 20" long. I'm guessing two burners would be adequate, since I've seen a couple 7 gal. propane tank builds on here with two burners, and I believe those are 12" x 24". However, even figuring 2" of ceramic wool all the way around the inside of a 14" x 20" tank, that's still 1500+cu. in.... right?

Right.

33 minutes ago, Isaiah Streblow said:

'm sure the solution here is obvious and my sleep-deprived brain isn't seeing it, but I'm primarily wondering a) whether the tank I'm considering for a shell is way too big for beginner work and I should drastically scale down, and b) am I calculating the forge size/number of burners correctly, or not at all?

34 minutes ago, Isaiah Streblow said:

but I'm primarily wondering a) whether the tank I'm considering for a shell is way too big for beginner work and I should drastically scale down, and b) am I calculating the forge size/number of burners correctly, or not at all?

37 minutes ago, Isaiah Streblow said:

whether the tank I'm considering for a shell is way too big for beginner work and I should drastically scale down, and b) am I calculating the forge size/number of burners correctly, or not at all?

Too large? No; but you are pushing it. Fortunately, you can divide the work load with a movable internal baffle wall, and shut down one of those burners most of the time. I would still usually advise you to build a much smaller forge in normal times, but the price gouging doing on at present skews normal advice in these abnormal times...

And, yes, those two burners will be right for the forge.

If you read through this site very far, you will find two 3/8' burners (best), or one 1/2" burner (acceptable), in a two-gallon forge, or its equivalent size in a box forge is advised  for novices. No matter how many and large the forges you eventually use, the small beginners forge will be your preference whenever the work piece permits it. On the other hand, loads of large forges spend their time collecting dust in an out of the way corner of shops.

Thanks for the answers, everybody.

I'll probably build a smaller forge, as I'm continuing to go over posts and see the common sizes, and also thanks to Mikey and Irondragon's advice.

So, just to confirm - if I do decide to go ahead with the 14" x 20", I would need four burners to heat the entire 1500 cu. in. space, but I could build a baffle wall halfway in, reduce the volume to ~700 cu. in., and heat with two burners if necessary?

The larger tank could also be cut down to use as the upper portion of a "D" shaped forge, and you could jump straight to building a ribbon burner for it. You would then end up with a larger forge that is still fuel friendly :)

It may not be smart to be stubborn, but don't give up short of half a loaf. Every decision isn't ether/or; sometimes, there's a middle way.