I Forge Iron

Anyang 33lb - Help me !

Good morning guys !

I need help !

I don't have a good notice ...

After 20 min at work, the hammer in top setting position not work great; the ram not move up to reach an ideal height (complitely into cylinder).

in top setting position the ram must be in upper position, now is in lower position, the dies is in contact.

I contact the Anyang factory but, them answer :

I reported the problems to our after-sale department,the technicians told me that maybe the seal of valve has problem,so please kindly check the middle of valve.

If you have any questions about our power hammer or need any help from us,please feel free to contact with me!

Thanks and Best regards,

Susan

but, I would ispection the working cylinder, the piston rings is in a good condition.

open the handel lever valve (upper and lower lever), I found nothing, no big pools of oil in the valves.

I decice to open the cover of compressing cylinder and .......

I FOUNDA SCREW ON TOP THE CYLINDER !!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS ABSURDITY, INCONCEIVABLE FOR MY EXPERIENCE.

P1070727.JPG
Anyang 33lb - Screw found into cylinder

The gap beetween the cover of compressing cylinder and the compressing piston,I have measured, is little larger of the thickness of the screw; the screw not it does not have chopped herbs or damaged the piston.

I decide to open all parts of hammer, to investigate it.

I don't found nothing, and I do not know from where it arrives

I'm abashed and they are disappointed for this, after only little hours of operation.

and now I see the interior of Anyang 33lb.

I upload more more more image on the gallery.

Edited by trattoclip

OK TRatto we can sort this out. First thing you need to do is calm down and concentrate on your English. Let me know exactly what is wrong and I will get my Chinese wife to speak to Anyang and see what can be done. That screw looks worn. Is it a piece of scrap that got in by mistake or has it dropped out of the machine?

Massey rep. if you are reading this can you be of any help? Where is it from? (BTW did you find the reference to your company in the works of Edgar Allen Poe?)

As soon as I have details Linna can contact Anyang.

Trattoclip, your English is very understandable. If need be, post in English, then post again in Italian and I will try to translate as best I can.

You may wish to go to the opening page IForgeIron.com and on the top right use the pull down under translate to choose Italian Language. This should translate the entire site into Italian for you. It will not translate your posts, they need to be posted in English or both languages please.

-----------------

Trattoclip, il vostro inglese

Trattoclip
the small bolt with the hole in it and a cut for the screwdriver is a part of the nonreturn
oiling valve that was unscrewwed from the vibratin and fell into the machine.
if u''ll dissmentle the oiling pipe and unscrew the nonreturenvalv u''ll fined were it came from. to day they are producing new nonreturn valvs that u may ask your agent to get for u.
as for the none regularity of the hammer work, check the handle of manual forging on the right side of the hammer(chrom plated) there under is a spring loaded lach sometimes
1 the spring is not holding the vibration and slides dowen and the handl that holds the valv is not in place.
2 the lach is having a step to hold the two valvs in a possition some times one must grind 1-2 mm and make the step deeper and the machine will start to forge in the right rhythem again.
hope it helps
Hofi

One thing I forgot sorry about that.
u must check if the ram hammer is wet from oil if not may be that is the reason.
last year I was demonstraiting in STIA with two anyang hammers and I know them
very good.
philip of chaina if u know nothing about air hammers do not advice what to do with them.
and u do not have to humiliate some one for his language, my English is also not good !!!

I hope you were not insulted by my message. I did not want to insult you! I just want you to know that I am here in China. My wife is Chinese and completely bilingual. So if you have problems communicating with Anyang she could speak to them in Chinese and then translate into English for you.

You should understand that I know nothing about power hammers!

Trattoclip
the small bolt with the hole in it and a cut for the screwdriver is a part of the nonreturn
oiling valve that was unscrewwed from the vibratin and fell into the machine.
if u''ll dissmentle the oiling pipe and unscrew the nonreturenvalv u''ll fined were it came from. to day they are producing new nonreturn valvs that u may ask your agent to get for u.
as for the none regularity of the hammer work, check the handle of manual forging on the right side of the hammer(chrom plated) there under is a spring loaded lach sometimes
1 the spring is not holding the vibration and slides dowen and the handl that holds the valv is not in place.
2 the lach is having a step to hold the two valvs in a possition some times one must grind 1-2 mm and make the step deeper and the machine will start to forge in the right rhythem again.
hope it helps
Hofi

Good morning Mr Hofi, thank you very much for your help.

I hope of being understood, I'm go, step to step

- the small bolt not have a hole in it, it has only a cut for the screwdriver; on the opposite side it ends to tip

- on top of working cylinder, I found a hole ("A") threaded, with the same pass of the screw

- In my opinion, this screw it closes this hole ("A") on top of working cylinder; Mr. Hofi, see the image, you can see two chisel blows by hand form Anyang factory (bad handle work)

See this image :

Click on image to view larger image !

top_working_cylinder.JPG

Top working cylinder - Anyang C41-15 - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

The hammer less power because a part of the air on top the cylinder, it passes through, and loses the power.

Is it a possible solution ?

-------

An other ask on this image :

screw_stop_slab1.JPG
screw stop slab - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

Click on image to view larger image !

There is a image of a interior of compressing cylinder, two screw with a cut for the screwdriver ("B") they hold stops a slab, I must be use LOCTITE Edited by trattoclip

Anyang factory answer :

"Good morning V. Federico,

Please kindly check whether the little screw is come from the hammer rod,if it's yes,please fasten it on the hammer rod,then the top tup can reach the height to make enough hit energy.

Thanks and Best regards,

Susan
"

ok...... but ... now ..... I have already resolved the problem, I must try if it works great

Edited by trattoclip

• 2 weeks later...

Made in China....

The shocking part is the price. $4k that's almost as much as a big blue. I cant believe that with the dying foundries here in the US that a hammer like this cant have MADE IN THE USA on the front and be competitive in price. I know its the machined parts that drive the price up..

Oh the joys of having cheap labor.

There's really no volume demand for them as I seriously doubt there is a need for small forging hammers outside the artist-blacksmith community (anything under 500 lb ram is small by industrial standards). Of course, WE all want one but that's about as far as it goes. There is an overall lack of interest in manufacturing in the US - as evidenced by the loss of jobs in those sectors and it's indicative of the epidemic that has sent all sorts of work to the Far East for the last 20 years. Now, all that money we sent along with the work will come back in the form of foreign ownership of our banks and companies. It's the great whoring of America - I'll get off my soapbox now...

With the advances in CNC cutting and welding, I think a very good machine could be made from fabricated parts. People like John Larson work by themselves and build a fine product but they are essentially crafting the hammer completely by hand. For a commercial venture, you'd need to make a variety of sizes and be able to produce at least 30-50 hammers per month. I'm quite sure the mechanisms can be engineered to reduce the manufacturing tolerances so close fits and finishes are not necessary but as I said earlier, the sustaining demand for power hammers is so low as to be almost nonexistent. Look at what happened to the American lathe industry - and lathes are many times more extant than forging equipment.

I sell these hammers in the UK. I have been selling on average 2 per month for the last 3 years (which I think is a lot of hammers for this small island!)

Most of the hammers are sold on recommendation from previous customers.

To the best of my knowledge not a single hammer has been re-sold, All my customers have been very happy with them, I keep talking to them. The power and control for the rated size of machine is excellent.

I give the hammer a thorough pre delivery inspection prior to dispatching them to the end user, and am here to give advice and support to my customers should they need it. I regard this as my job as the selling agent for the machine.

At my charge out rate to the forging industry ( the bulk of my work is on 'industrial' forging equipment) please be assured that if these hammers were inherently problematic I would not sell them. A day repairing one on site would more than eat my 'margin' on the sale.

The cast frame self contained hammers have a tiny footprint, hit hard and have good control. It would be lovely if they could be made in the UK / USA but the numbers will never stack up.

Its a shame that this 33lb hammer had a screw work loose (and it shouldnt have happened), had the hammer been bought via a dealer Im sure this problem would have been resolved more quickly.

This post is not intended as a 'sales pitch', or to make light of the problem that this hammer has had, and I apologise if it reads that way, my advice, (as ever :rolleyes: ) is to try out as many different makes & types of power hammer as you can before you commit !