I Forge Iron

resurfacing an anvil

If it is cast iron, and has no hardened plate on the face, then you could. It is likely homogenous but will always get beaten up. Can you tell us any more about the anvil? Is it Harbor Freight or one of the ebay ones? If it has a brand mark, the people here will know all, like the Great Karnak.
To truly grind a typical real working anvil, you would need a 7" commercial angle grinder with a new fine grade medium cupped, large diameter wheel. Then you can flat grind. BUT, unless you have a quick and light touch, you can overheat the ferrous metal and wreck whatever heat-treat might be there. And, unless you have spent a fair amount of time with a grinder, you will likely add some ugly "eyebrows" to the face. So, then you would need to consider the same configuration of backer and abrasive discs- less likely to dig and somewhat less likely to overheat the metal. Don't do anything until a veteran smith chimes in- I have had to precision grind many surfaces and joints with an angle grinder, but not anvils.mike

Resurfacing a cast iron anvil is like mopping a mud floor, no matter how much time you spend on it it will still be dirty.

Now if it's cast iron with a steel face like a Vulcan or Fisher it would be worth the doing---but be carefull as Vulcans have a tendency to have thin steel in the face. Fishers are a lot thicker in my experience.