I Forge Iron

What can I make from old bent drill bits?

David G.

It depends on what they're made of. I don't know how old these are, but most drill bits are made of high speed steel. However, there are many different kinds of HSS. I would do some testing to make sure you can even forge them and then decide what to use them for.

If you're considering making a knife I would also harden and temper some test pieces. Some HSSs are oil hardening, others are air hardening, others are air hardening with a stream of compressed air... You'll want to know what you have before you forge a knife out of one.

It's always a good idea to break your test piece(s) to examine the grain structure. If the grains are too large then adjust the quench medium and/or temperature(s) of your normalization cycles until you end up with a small grain stricture.

This is just a picture I found online, but it's a good example of what to look for.

Grain of heat treated O1 Tool Steel | Kitchen Knife Forums

Thanks

I used the normalizing method, but I will keep in mind to break it too.

I already have a wider knife made from coil spring.

I would like this a little bit skinnier so I can eventually carve spoons or other things.

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.