I Forge Iron

I Forge Iron New Guy

aktoklat

Hello, my name is johnny and I am new to this forum and would like to say hello. I started making knives in 1977 using the stock removal method with mostly hollow grinds. Recently, a newly acquired friend has taught me some of the basic forging techniques and how to make damascus billets. What an adventure in froging and damascus it has been. Currently, making a hunter with the first San Mai Billet (1095 + L6). In the past I produced mostly full tang knives. Learning the techniques of producing a first class hidden tang has been alot of work while very rewarding. Hopefully, I will pick up some tips and ideas. If I have any information worth sharing, I will. Otherwise, I will be a quiet observer and not a pest. Enough about me, thanks for allowing me to join this forum.

We should then invite you (with over 30 years experience) to show us how you do things (blueprints).

As this was your first post, let us show you around, introduce you to the grinder (knife section), the anvil (blacksmithing section), and let you know that there is information most everywhere on the site, the opening page, the gallery, etc. Just keep looking as it takes a while to see everything. We suggest you pack a lunch and a cold drink before you go to the bottom of the forum page and click on archive, then a section then a sub-section. Look for the multiple page numbers 2,3,4 above of list of topics.

Friday in the IForgeIron chat room is the Friday Night LIVE Knife Chat from 10 pm to 11 pm Eastern US time. It is an open format discussion dedicated to knives, or other sharp and pointy things.

Welcome to IForgeIron. Enjoy your visit.

Thanks for the welcome! I have one pic of a knife that I recently finished. I stated early I started making knives in 1977, true! However, I took 6-7 years off and started back last year! Steel in Uddeholm AEB-L with an ivory Micarta Handle.
7907.attach

Edited by aktoklat
photo attached