I Forge Iron

I Want To Make Window Gates

TomBrooklyn

Hi,

I want to make window gates. I live in Brooklyn, NY. I worked as a welder for about 6 months many, many years ago. I don't even weld that good anymore, but the more I do, the better I get again.

I have a oxy-acetylene cutter (I don't have any torch tips for it yet,) an electric arc welder, an abrasive cutoff wheel, and a smallish roll-around metal workbench (about 30" x 48" I made with an 11 ga. (close to 1/8") top. Not a very thick top but it will have to do for now. I could double it up but I don't know if that would even be close to the same as having a 1/4" top. The top got a little warped when I welded it down anyway, so it's not perfectly flat.

I don't have a forge or an anvil but I hope I can by without them.

I want to make decorative window gates to start off. I'd like to make some with interesting patterns, not just the stock up and down bars with a few prefab squigglies that most iron shops fab and sell.

I would like to make one for my bathroom window for starters since that's the smallest window. Then I have three regular size windows and a double window and a door to do.

Cheers,
Tom

Talk to a lawyer first and also check out the local regulations on window bars!

I agree with Tom. Having been a volunteer firefighter there are regulations on window bars. If some one gets trapped in a fire it may come back and bite you. The idea is great so get the information and go for it.

Decorative bars are fairly easy to make, just mount them so they lift off easily. Security bars have to meet standards so they can be easily opened from the inside. I don't know what would be worse: knowing something I made and installed in good faith had resulted in a death or that I was losing my house, truck, shop and tools in a lawsuit for the same thing.

It can be done; one Q&D method would be to get simple standard security bars and then gussy them up to the max---not interfering with the safety release of course.

You have to meet local, state or federal codes. There seems to be no standard code not even from the NFPA. So really do you research and meet with both the building code officer and the Fire Marshall. 2 years ago I did some iron restoration work on a historic home, 2 sets of window grates were included.I told them even before I started that I had to meet current fire codes. Well I built them to meet current fire codes, the Historic commity pitched a fit. They looked as close to all the others that were still on the house but the bar spacing was much closer on the new ones and they were hinged with a pull pin reachable from inside and out side. The historic commity wanted them replaced with exact copies of the originals at my exspense.:mad: The Fire Marshall stepped in and told them that current fire codes trump historic accuracy and that they either stay off or meet the codes for public safty reasons. I got paid but it turned in to a ( tinkling ) contest between the Fire Marshall and the historic commity :rolleyes:. Whats funny is they called me to replace some missing handrails well I took a pass on that job because I new the handrails would also have to meet current building codes:o

Edited by Dave M