I Forge Iron

Strange sound from burner

mbc

Hello everyone! 

New member here, thank you very much for this amazing repository of knowledge!

I have recently bought my first forge, a 2-burner Devil Forge. I have been using it for about a week now, typically for around an hour or so. Today, after having it on for about an hour, it stated making a loud "gargling" sound. Unfortunately I cannot tell you exactly how the flame when that started as my reaction was to immediately turn off the gas. However, I managed to record a video (attached as "IMG_8807.MOV") in which you can hear the sound clearly (even though the flame was out and the gas was off).

I have also attached photos the burners and the reductor as it may help you diagnose the situation.

Do you have any idea of what might be causing this?

Thank you very much!

mbc

photo_2021-06-19 17.04.09.jpeg

photo_2021-06-19 17.04.19.jpeg

photo_2021-06-19 17.04.26.jpeg

photo_2021-06-19 17.04.54.jpeg

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.  Is there a reason you have the chokes closed so far? You're moving the camera so fast it's bouncing around, I can't really see the burner choke on the right. About all I can tell from the video is you have a burner sputtering.

I'd open the choke plates up and let the burners breath and use the lock nut so they don't vibrate closed in use. When I say open them up I don't mean all the way, do it in steps, start by opening them about 1/2" more than they are now. If one is closed start with that choke ONLY and open it to match the other one.

Then just take still pics with the light at your back so we can see more clearly. Show us the choke plates and a pic in the doorway of the forge so we can see what the flame looks like.

Frosty The Lucky.