I Forge Iron

Pandrol clip straightening experiment

High silicon, to be sure (1.40-2.00, depending on the specific alloy), while 5160 is 0.15-0.30. However (according to the info I found online and posted above), Pandrol e-clips have a manganese content from 0.40-0.90 (again, depending on the alloy), while 5160 is 0.750-1.00. Or am I missing something?

That's what I was told by someone who works for the railroads and does metallurgy. But I know these things can vary a lot and it wouldn't suprise me to have different standard in the USA compared to the EU. But on the other hand; they are basically springs.

In the case of the info I posted above, those clips are manufactured in China to conform to European standards.

But yes: basically springs. I gather that the higher silicon content is to increase strength and hardenability, and I suspect that this is a way to get better durability without the greater risk of stress cracking that would come with a higher carbon content. That's just a guess, though; I'm no metallurgist.