I Forge Iron

Flame Check and Advice Please

evildeadash

The picture really doesn't do justice, they look almost identical when running. If anything the back one might flare a little rich every now and then. I'll try the scale test tomorrow when I get done with the "honey do's". 

I have some K26 insulating fire bricks for forge doors. Thanks again guys. 

Fires forge up and got it hot. Put a shiny piece of 1/4 x 1 bar in. Took about 3.5 mins for it to get just at yellow hot. Tried brushing it but couldn't get any scale. Put it back in and got to same temp then tapped a few times with hammer. Got some scale but not much. 

Took these two pics after the forge was running for about 15mins. I had the door covered while heating up. 

20210320_145117.jpg

20210320_145143.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Resize photos

That's one HOT looking forge you have there. 

I suppose we can loose you on the rest of the gang now. Go forth and be talkative! :)

You do realize those thoughts you're having about how you're going to make your next forge are normal, right? We al have them and can look under a bench or behind something at our old forges for reminders of why we didn't do THAT again. 

Frosty The Lucky.

No doubt and I'm helping a buddy from work build one plus another in Ohio. 

All b/s aside, if you guys come across anyone from the central Louisiana area that needs in person help, send them my way. I'll still be lurking around here to chime in with any help I can offer. 

Next thing ya know you will be building a side draft charcoal forge like me. No sooner than I had the propane forge going good with help from a lot of great help here, I started on our charcoal forge.:o

100_1852-1.thumb.jpg.563c4c5938e078727746f2c37341b1c7.jpg

100_1998-1.thumb.jpg.2452eca18d883b8a46d63b5a6606c040.jpg

That's as far as I have gotten before life got in the way, then covid. All that's left is to line it with clay and shape the fire pot. I really need to get a movin on it.