I Forge Iron

Anvil Horn Repair?

Hey there,

I looked around and did not see a similar question so here goes. 

I have a 120# Fisher made in 1905, that I have used for the past 10 years or so and I would like to do a little repair on the horn. For the most part it is fine, but on the underside of the horn there is a deep groove that seems to be either filed in long ago or was worn in from lots of shoeing. What it does is cause my work to slip into the sharp groove and makes things difficult at times. I am kind of getting tired of it and would like to see if I could just weld it up.

Since it is on the horn and not hardened that should be of no concern, however I have no idea what the steel is made out of and if there would be trouble MIG welding it up. I do not have a picture, but I can go down to the shop and get a picture later. Basically if you look straight at the horn it looks like it has a big smile. :rolleyes:

I really need to get a new anvil one of these day. This one has the very end of the heel broken off at the center of the pritchel hole as well. I have been looking at buying a new one, but at over a grand for a new anvil it is on the back burner for now as this one has severed me fine since the face is good.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Greebe