I Forge Iron

New in the PNW

Fighting_fires

Hello all, just starting out and don't hardly know a think. In the capitol area of Washington state. 

So far, I have a forklift tine for an anvil. I cut the tapered portion off and have the nontapered portion buried in a taller propane canister that I filled with sand. Works decently so far! 

That and a Laredo forge from Ebay have me going. 

Looking to dip my fingers in some bladesmithing, but I like the architectural and artistic side a whole lot. I'm blown away by the things some of you can create. 

Looking forward to learning a lot, and wouldn't mind meeting some people that can help me on the way! 

18 hours ago, Fighting_fires said:

So far, I have a forklift tine for an anvil. I cut the tapered portion off and have the nontapered portion buried in a taller propane canister that I filled with sand. Works decently so far

That's basically how I ended up mounting my RR track anvil. It quieted it down considerably. The only drawback is I have to be careful using the sides of the rail or it could tip over. I have it in a steel five gallon bucket filled with fine gravel. 

Welcome aboard be safe and remember it's supposed to be fun.

Pnut

2 hours ago, pnut said:

The only drawback is I have to be careful using the sides of the rail or it could tip over. I have it in a steel five gallon bucket filled with fine gravel. 

Welcome aboard be safe and remember it's supposed to be fun.

Pnut

Mine isn't tippy at all, I used a taller propane tank with the top cut off, prefilled the bottom with damp sand and packed it well as I could. Then just set in in there and packed it around as much as possible. I did cut off the pieces that stick off the side, so it's smooth-ish all the way down into the sand. 

Like you said, it's quieter than I expected, and the sand holds it tight enough that I just pick it up by the exposed piece and move it around. 

I planned to cut it with more of a "horn" so that I could shape with a round piece as well, but my oxygen regulator on the torch decided to give up the ghost haha 

Not the best pictures. I figured I would beat on this one until I knew a little more what I was doing, and I get that regulator rebuilt and cut the other one I have to a more specific shape. 

Ahh talking about this makes me wish I wasn't at work!