I Forge Iron

Anvil with no hardy or pritchel holes?

Hello brain trust...  This just came up for sale near me and I just don't have any idea.

image.png.c274ee3c153fcf2e2ec911fcb27f8b8e.png

image.png.8b5e7820642f089ecdc976f7de9fe2c2.png

I've ever seen an anvil with the modern London pattern with no hardy hole.  I've asked the seller for weight and if they can find any markings at all.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

No, but I'm going to go look at it this weekend, I think.  He said he's got lots of old stuff, so I'm goin pickin to see what I can find. 

So on the off chance that it hasn't just been welded over, I may be interested.

Bounce test and ring test!   If it passes those you could always drill your own pritchel!  However the body shows quite a bit of age yet the face doesn't---I call shenanigan's!
If it does show work to pretty it up; please commiserate with the seller about how a previous owner had dropped the value of it by working over the face---and explain why!

So I went to look at this anvil today and it turned out to be an ASO of cast iron I think.  Little to no rebound.  It didn't appear to have been welded either.  It was definitely cast without the hardy or pritchel.  No markings on it of any kind, either.  Interesting, but not something I was looking for.