I Forge Iron

Forge burner Mounting Depth

Eridanus21

Hi all, I am in the process of building my first forge out of a 20 lb propane tank, I have seen quite a bit of variation in the way forge burners get attached. The main thing I cant seem to understand the depth the burner is inserted into the forge body. I plan to line the inside with 2" of ceramic fiber blanket and then about .5" of castable refractory. I plan on using 2 different sized hole saw bits to create a little lip for the end of the burner to sit on. (Like this video @ 3:50 https://youtu.be/b8zOQ4hyQzc?t=229) Does this look like a good position?

2127105631_forgeplan1.thumb.png.5d249ffe868a3694ef10ffaf1c13b086.png

I decided to buy 2 burners that come with a 0-20 psi regulator, since I plan to mount my burners about 2:00 position can I get away with using normal tube instead of copper pipe? Are there any things I should add to my burner setup?

676334294_burner1.png.dbdb41c8f054540624b657cc3d7af983.png

Thanks!

Hi Eridanus21,

I would suggest that you remove the metal flare fitting at the end of your burner, and shape a flare in the castable refractory, as show below in a modified diagram.

This will stop your metal flare from melting off the end of your burner under high-heat conditions.

Eridanus_forge1.thumb.png.94cfafc852d38fa5c2f38b9edab9b971.png

Sorry for the hack in "paint" but it was the best I could do.

Hope it helps.

Tink!

Tinkertim, that makes a lot more sense to me, thank you for the advise. I could shape a cork out of something starting at 1" diameter ending 1.5" and set it in place when I am putting in the castable.

756285106_forge2.thumb.png.45309d259699fa0931ed6754f4b2d94b.png

I think I am going to go copper tube for the forge and add a pressure gauge and an idle valve. This will be my first time working with copper tube, as I understand it I am going to use 1/4" NPT fittings, soft copper tube, and a needle valve for the idle, attached with flairs.