I Forge Iron

Small flame from T burner

Michael_Tricam

I am building my first forge. I tested my T burner and the flame was very weak, I am not sure what is wrong. I have it hooked up to a 20 lb tank with a ball valve shut off and a 3-30 PSI regulator. My pressure gauge has not arrived yet so I am not sure what the pressure is, but the regulator is adjusted all the way up. I also removed the regulator and attached a 1/4" needle valve and got the same result. I am using a .035" mig tip, and I have tried it at 3 different lengths. I have included an image of the flame. Does anyone know what may be wrong? 

Thank you for the help.

T Burner Small Flame.jpg

I have nothing on the end of the 6" x 3/4" nipple. the nozzle is welded onto my forge (might have been another mistake). I just unscrewed the burner to test it. I am using a 3/4" coupler as a flame retention nozzle, I will screw on on and see if it helps. But, it seams like a am getting very low propane flow.  

In all of the videos I have watched the gas flow is very audible before the flame is lit. I can hear no gas flowing from the burner unless I put my ear up to it. 

You are aware of the flow check valves in modern propane tanks?   Designed to prevent out of control flow if someone opens the tanks without something hooked up to it.

Some are "touchy" and will engage just opening the tank valve for our burners.  I once had a tank that wouldn't reset without tapping it.  I swapped the tank in for one that worked for my usage. Opening it very slowly can help too allowing the pressure to build up on the tank side of the regulator and so not look like a runaway condition.