I Forge Iron

Experimental Jig for Sharpening Tungsten Electrodes

Frosty, regarding the diamond wheel grit. I did some checking to refresh my memory. I had started out with a 120-grit wheel (even though it appears quite a bit coarser in the photos), and as mentioned earlier in this thread I thought that a finer grit would have been better, so I decided later to change to a 220-grit wheel.

As you said, I think a guide or device could be built that could control or limit pressure against the wheel, along with other factors. There are a lot of possible configurations. Perhaps some adjustable spring-loaded approach? It could be fun to design, but as usual, I always have more projects and ideas than available time to play with them.

My current big project is restoring our 225-year-old house. I'm doing most of the work by myself, since hiring a crew to do the work is beyond our budget. It's amazingly time consuming, but I enjoy working on it, and as a result I get a lot more exercise than most retirees like me manage to get at my age. I'm at the point in the restoration process where I'm looking at reproducing some of the old hardware (door latches, hinges, etc.), which will give me an excuse to do some more blacksmithing...and save some money.

Yeah, photos over the web can be deceiving. My last experience with Tig is 50 years ago, no doubt things have changed, I'll have to stop comparing things so directly. I keep having thoughts, the thoughts, the thoughts, they're EVERYWHERE!!:o

Are tungstens effected by water? A Drill Doctor has an extremely fine ceramic wheel and the rest can be adjusted to almost parallel. I've never heard of one grabbing anything. Being a wet grind, dust release is zero. The grind is also flat rather than concave as produced by a bench grinder. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the Drill Doctor suggestion. I'll have to have a look at their models.

I've been working on our old house all day (no rest for the wicked, I guess). And I might do a little blacksmith work tonight to fabricate an old-fashioned looking support bracket for a cracked beam.

Al (Steamboat)

Thanks for the comments regarding reversing the grinder wheel direction.  I hadn't thought of the possibility of bending the tungsten.  However if I get to the project I still might try having the guide as close to the wheel as possible.  A shorter projection should lessen the chance of bending and I would have a better view of the sharpening process.  This would be a project for the future because I've got a few retirement, (26 years come Sept.), projects to get to first.  I've had good luck sharpening the tungsten on a very fine green wheel that I use to sharpen carbide cutters.