I Forge Iron

Blower fix thread

FieryFurnace

O.K. I am temporarily back in the seat. My Mom and Dad are currently on a 20 day aniversary trip (One day for each year they have been married) so the building projects are put on pause. (Except for two chicken shelters I have to build) Today I decided to pull out my blower, (the one that malfunctioned at my last demo) and see if I could fix it. I have taken it comepletely apart and I am slowly putting it back together, working the parts and making sure it runs smoothly together. I have some pictures, but my sister's USB cable seems to have vanished I'll get her to find it and post pics later.

O.K. This is gonna sound real wierd so get ready. This blower has been working without trouble for the last 6 months. Now the fan is too big. It was scaping gainst BOTH sides of the housing. :confused: I took a file and scraped em down a bit, and then I took a grinder to it. It runs relatively smooth now although it's hitting a little.:mad: I'm hoping it will straiten that much out by itself.
After we eat lunch I'm gonna start a fire. YIPEE! I have a screw that I found on the side of the road, (You might be a blacksmith if you make your mom stop cause you think you might have seen a piece of steel on the side of the road;)) and I am going to TRY to make a thrusting short sword from it. (I suppose it has some sort of carbon content. It's about 2 1/2'x1/2") Much like a 1700's Britsh officer's short sword.
Thoughts?

Well, I finally quit talking and started forging. I had an old screw from a car that I forged the blade out of. It's not a cutlass but more like a backup weapon. The blade is 27 inches in length by 3/4 wide and just shy of 1/4 thick. It's a strait blade. I started on the profile after I annealed it. Still have a good bit to go there. I also forged a mild steel shell that will support a basket style guard. I think it must be a pretty high carbon blade. I forged a handle stub, quenched it, turned it around, heated the other side up, hit it, and the handle broke off. No crack, it just broke at the first hit. Anyway I'll weld a bolt on for the handle.
It felt good to be forging again without having to worry about a building project that needed to be done! I've gotta make some chicken roosts this week, but I hope I'll be able to forge a couple of times.
I'm still trying to find the USB cable for the camera.:(