I Forge Iron

Weird leg vise washer

Degovernator

Picked up an old leg vise today.   I have no idea who made it or it’s age.  I know it is missing the spring and mount but I can’t figure out why the screw has a weird spacer/wAsher on the handle side.  It has a rapped hole perpendicular to the screw like it would need a grub screw.   It also has a straight hole off to the side which is not tapped.   I’ll try and take more detailed pictures and add them.  It was bought in Louisiana and apparently has been around here for around 60 years at least.   

Looks like just a random piece used as a spacer. Often done when the first part of the screw is worn out.  When you space it out; you start using a less worn section of the screw.  Most vises get used for work under 2", many under 1" so that part of the screw gets the most wear.  It can also help if people have damaged the front of the screw where it wasn't covered by the screwbox shroud.  

It is also possible the original thrust washer was lost and that's what the owner had on hand to replace it. Try running the screw in without it and tighten it up. You will know in short order if it needs that wide of a spacer. It's also possible something has gotten down in the screw box and the screw was bottoming out. A good cleaning of the box and screw is in order anyway.