I Forge Iron

brazing copper

Justin Caradoc

Could someone tell me how to braze copper? I have been looking through the threads in this section and see alot of mention of brazing but not a how to. I am asking because I don't curently have a welder co I can't weld the coper together. I am thinking about flatening coper pipe and brazing the center together. Is that even possable? or brazing together copper flashing for a wall treatment. I hope this makes some sense. If not please ask questions so I can try to clarify my thinking I am realy new to this. :)

For a wall treatment soldering copper would be *MUCH* easier.

Yes it can be brazed but you need a welding torch. Soldering can be done with soldering coppers or a plumber's torch.

A copy of an old middle school shop text should cover how to do this in detail and be easily found.

BTW the Copper, Brass, Bronze and Tinsmithing forum might be a good place to post this.

You should be able to braze copper with an air-acetylene, or air-MAPP torch. Oxy-acetylene will make it easier, but it's not necessary for most small items you'll want to braze. So far, I've only used silver brazing alloy and have only used my air-acetylene for it so far.

Do you want to braze, or braze weld? The difference is that brazing uses capillary action to deposit the filler alloy, where as braze welding does not. Braze welding is more like standard welding, except you are not melting the base metals.

Brazing (using capillary action) is much like soldering, however the temperatures are much higher. Any brazing alloy melts at temps above 800 F. Just like soldering, proper cleaning and flux application is very critical.

I'm still confused as to what your actual application for the copper is. Solder might work, but brazing or braze welding is much stronger.

ok the wall treatment I am thinking about doing a coper "quilt" with 1' squares of coper flashing Repoussed in diffrent designes like a quilt. I have the squares and thought that I could braze them together to make the "quilt". The copper pipe question was- Can you flatten copper pipe and use a braze in the center of the pipe to fuse the sides and make 1 bar of flat stock. What I was thinking with that is if it was possable to make a stock removal copper knife for a pagan friend of mine because they have issues with using iron in there rituals. It is easer to get copper pipe for me because I have not a clue where to fine 2" wide 1/2" thick coper flat stock. I thought the pipe would work if I could fuze the center together as I flattened it. It was just a thought :)

For your copper quilt, braze welding sounds much better then soldering or brazing. You don't have much place for capillary action to take place. Real welding sounds even better to tell you the truth.

I don't think the copper pipe will do a good job for a copper knife. I would search the internet for a piece of stock to use, or call up some local metal suppliers for ideas. You could also stop by your local scrap yard and see what pieces of copper they have lying around.

Having a backyard foundry, my first thought would be to melt down some copper scrap, and cast a knife blank that you can then finish up by grinding.

Sounds like a piece of copper bussbar would suit you fine for the knife.

You beat me to it! I just thought of that idea and was coming into the thread to reply with it! LOL :P

If you don't have any luck, let me know. I don't have the ability to cast copper yet, but I know people who do.

Edit: Oh, and about your copper quilt. You could do butt joints with welding or braze welding. If you do brazing or soldering, you MUST use lap joints in order to gain a suitable surface for capillary action to take place. Edited by moya034