I Forge Iron

Low scrap prices

While low prices are good for those of us scrounging scrap yards for materiel to work with.  The low prices are also bad for those of us scrounging around looking for material to work with.  Because, no-one is hauling anything in, because the price is low.   When the price was ~$3/hundred, or more, there was all manner of neat stuff to be had.  Now, the yard has been picked clean, and nothing left but  some huge industrial machinery, and a few crushed Yugos, or equivilant.  A few months ago, I picked up a 250+ pound "anvil" for $40.It became my 108 pound anvil, with plenty left over for other stuff.  But now, it's all sheet metal, and brake parts.  All the short heavy stuff is missing.

My local scrapyard isn't buying; but will still accept donations so folks more interested in cleaning out the yard/shed/garage are still dumping new stuff; just not as much and we don't see the stuff the tweakers used to pull out of the mountains to support their habit.

I'm thinking of buying a large thick end of a high pressure tank to make a "doom Bell from"  but I keep hoping the selling price would go down.

220155555_scrapbell1(2).jpg.e234f64619e0ce5f790bec347ce24cb5.jpg would work well for a fire fountain too.