I Forge Iron

Anvil identification

Hi out there 

I was lucky to pick up a nice looking anvil at a fair price the other day. But I’m having trouble identifying the manufacturer.

Im located in Denmark. The anvils we see the most often here is Kohlswa, soderfors, and a variety of German manufacturers.  

CE42ECCA-F9F2-42F8-B51B-7DA10C172406.thumb.jpeg.c5fc9a221782e01e78afb1c96f5827a4.jpegC0E381D6-C801-46A7-9D08-D5514149F056.thumb.jpeg.0a8a97dd8d7cf67a900c36363b99081c.jpeg

It is marked 1913 and 98kg. There are no other markings.

It has handling holes in both ends and a round small hole in the Center of the bottom

At first glance it resembles a Soderfors, but in that case it would have been marked differently judging by the look of all other soderfors anvils i have seen. 

Any in here who can help me on identifying this beauty? 

Soderfors cast anvils going all over the world and marked as the retailer wished. It looks like a Soderfors to me but might not be. Will a file skate on the face? A new sharp file shouldn't do more than take rust or dirt off the face of a Soderfors. 

It looks to be in excellent condition only very minor edge chipping. Have you done a rebound test? Drop a ball bearing on the face and estimate how far it bounces back as a %. Soderfors tend to have about 95% rebound over the center of the face, the farther you test towards the heal or horn the more it falls off.

Frosty The Lucky.

The file skates on the face nicely.

Rebound is good, have uploaded a YouTube video of the anvil. Face is lightly pitted so rebound might be reduced a bit due to this.

Another thing that separates this one from a soderfors is the chamfer from the bench to the face. 

• 2 months later...