I Forge Iron

Bought a vise

DennisCA

Found a blacksmiths vise in a 2nd hand shop for 60 euros and decided to bring it home.

FojrVRzh.png

I took it apart and cleaned it in my electrolysis tank, it was very filthy and with time, it will get filthy again. But I like to add my own filth. And also so I can determine the condition of the vise.

And here it is reassembled and I did slap some high temp paint on it

jdvIWswh.png

(in the background you can see part of the foundation for my shed build, in which I will keep my smithing equipment in the future)

baqTRga.jpg

bAf99DD.jpg

The screw is clearly worn but has some life in it left. I have a lathe so I could turn a new one.

6v6l3qa.jpg

And the jaw width is 10cm or 4 inches so a 4 inch vise, the jaws can open up to about 4 inches as well, but then you don't have much thread left in the nut, so maybe 3½ inches is more realistic.

WRugtjY.jpg

I have no idea who made this vise, likely  it's of swedish or finnish manufacture and quite some time ago. Just another thing I need a stand for now.

Thanks, same place also had an anvil, 180 euros and almost new looking. I was tempted but decided it was too small for me (figured 40kg maybe) and I have my 69kg anvil already so I tipped people on this local whatsapp group for smiths and it was gone last night when I went back to the store. That time there was nothing of interest.

IMG_20200727_120245794.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice find at a good price.

seems like post vises are cheaper in Scandinavia than in the States, but anvils sure have gone up in price the last few years. 

That 40kg Kohlswa was a good price as well. looks like your local thrift shop might be a gem.