I Forge Iron

Identifying my great grandfathers anvil

I wanted to post some pictures of my great grandfathers anvil on here to see if anyone could identify its maker but something called a url is necessary.  I am a blacksmith not a computer savvy individual so I guess I guess I'll just give it away and never know who made it.  To bad it's a large anvil and in great shape.

When you create a post, you should be able to either drag your image files into your text area or click the "choose files..." hyperlink at the bottom of the message box. 

If you put your location in your profile you may be surprised how many smiths live in your area that may be able to help. Have you read the "Read This First" tab located in the banner at the top of every page? That information will help you get the most out of the site and stay out of the crosshairs of the mods and admins.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you!

Well since you must be using a windows 10 laptop just like I am, I click on the 'choose files' link, navigate to where the pictures are stored and select the picture wanted, hit open and then at the bottom of the post it will show up with a + and a trashcan. Select the + to add it to the post.

NOTE there is a size limit to pictures so you may need to downsize your picture to allow it to be loaded.  As I use an old phone my pictures tend to be kilobit sized rather than megabit sized and so this is not an issue for me.

On the other hand describing it well with any stampings on the side(s) and the front foot and what the bottom looks like would go a a lot towards figuring out what brand it was.  One of my anvils has a faint hourglass indentation on the bottom and I can see "LYN" stamped on the side identifying it as a Hay Budden, the serial number on the front foot tells what year it was made....No picture necessary