I Forge Iron

Greetings from Anchorage, Alaska

BrandoRex

I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.  I'm a longtime sword and blade person who never really thought about making these things until I started reading about Jody Samson a few years ago.  And then Forged in Fire came on and while I started watching because of the blades, the process and the actual smithing made me stick around and even consider, hey - could I actually do this?  At this point, my answer is a resounding yes!

I don't currently have much in the way for space at the moment but I'm looking to change that.  I'd love the opportunity to apprentice with a local smith, somewhere in the Anchorage/Mat-Su valley area in Alaska.  Even if it's a few nights a week or a weekend here or there, I'd be happy to do grunt work in exchange for knowledge and a chance to see if it's really a good fit for me.  I've been an artist here and there and have a love for historical things, and a desire to make.  

Anyways, I'm looking forward to spending countless nights reading through the collective knowledge in the site.  Thanks for reading!

Welcome! We have a number of Alaskan members, so I'm sure they can help you make local connections. In the mean time, we have some older discussions about the availability and practicality of apprenticeships; take the time to look those over first.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. There are a number of smiths in Anchorage and the MatSu. "The Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths" is the local club, there is a meeting this Saturday in Palmer. I'll give you the particulars on the side. The club does most of it's communicating on Facebook the club name is a good search term.

I'm laying low until the pandemic is under control or run it's course so we won't get to meet this weekend. It's a friendly bunch with a bunch of new guys so the meeting demos tend to lean towards beginner projects. There are a number of experienced smiths and usually at least two stations set up and new folk are welcome to give it a try.

Frosty The Lucky.