I Forge Iron

Bucket Teeth / Scrap

So ive been wondering this for a bit... i have a small stack of bucket teeth from excavator and caterpillar buckets that will never be used for their intended purpose. The small amount of research i have done so far is that most of these teeth have a mixture of nickle and Molybdenum which is what makes them very durable and corrosion resistant. What kind of trouble am I asking for with these puppies if i said i see a camping axe to be made?

Carbon content?  Will it form martensite with blacksmithing techniques in heat treating?

Ni: (from metal supermarkets page---didn't copy the section on stainless alloys using Ni)  "Nickel is also used to improve the mechanical properties of steel. It is used to increase toughness and impact strength, even at lower temperatures."

Molybdenum: (from metalsupermarkets page)"Molybdenum, like chromium, has an effect on the corrosion resistance of steel. Molybdenum can also increase the hardenability, toughness, and tensile strength of steel. It increases the hardenability by lowering the required quench rate during the heat treating process to make a strong and hard steel."

Resistance to forming would be the big issue.

Instead, cut out an appropriate shape and use it as a welded in bit. 

You will not be able to sharpen it with a file in the field but your edge will stay sharp for a long time.