I Forge Iron

grinder set up

My 2x72 belt grinder is due to arrive tomorrow and even though I don't have a bench for it yet, I still needed to install a 220v outlet where I'm planning on using the grinder.   So I spent much of my day going out and around to buy supplies and install the line and outlet.  So that step is behind me.  Can't start building the bench until I have the grinder from which to take dimensions.  I plan on making the table top tilt 90 degrees to the left so the belt can be placed in a horizontal position.   I'm a little gun-shy about deciding on the height to make the bench, though.  I think there was a thread about it mentioning the majority of folks found the middle of the platen at level of the belly button made for a good reference............is that correct?

I would position it so the middle to lower section of the platen is where your arms are bent 90 deg at the elbow and level---grab a large dowel in both hands and see where it would hit with your arms in that position.

Allows for heavy grinding and you can still work higher on the platen for lighter grinding.

Thanks.  I think I agree that's a good place to start the design process. 

Though I don't think I'll ever buy or use a large diameter wheel for hollow grinds,  what would you recommend as a starting height for that?  Wondering if I can design an adjustable bench that would be as strong as a stationary one?

Well I use a 10" contact wheel and the height I like is to have it's axle at the same height as above to slightly lower so I can brace my elbows against my body and "lean into" the wheel.  Also my grinding stance is with one leg forward so if there is an accident I don't automatically feed myself into the wheel.

Okay, good to know.....................thanks.   Sounds as if the same height bench would work for both. 

Watching the UPS truck (on-line) wander around town.  Don't know when it will arrive here, but they "claim" before 9pm.  Ticks me off I may have to wait that long.  He's been within a mile of my house twice this morning.  Tempted to jump in the truck and try and find him!  :lol:  I want to get started on designing the bench.  Not sure what "footprint" it's going to have in the shop.