I Forge Iron

Beginner tongs for 5/8" round stock?

Erik F.

Hi all,

I'm a beginner looking to get my first pair of tongs. I'll be working mostly with 5/8" round stock (about 12" long). I was going to get some V-bit tongs (either straight or bolt) but was curious about wolf jaw tongs as a possible do-it-all option.

Any thoughts? Could wolf jaw tongs handle 5/8" round stock (both lengthwise and sideways), and if so, which size should I look for? I can't find much info out there. Or should I stick to straight v-bit or v-bit bolt tongs?

Many thanks for any advice!

Erik

With my limited experience it wolf jaw will work. That's what I started with. However tongs that are for specific shapes and sizes are much better. I used to think blacksmiths that had dozens or even hundreds was overkill, but you always only need 1 more pair.:)

I turn wooden bowls on a pole lathe (the old-fashioned, foot-powered treadle lathe). One uses special hook tools for the work (as opposed to gouges, which people use on electric lathes). The hook tools are quite difficult to find for sale -- most people forge their own. I've made a few using other people's equipment, but given social distancing and the need for a more-accessible way to make the tools, I'm putting together a small setup for home.

Thanks for the help!

Planning to use automotive coil springs?  Foot powered systems generally use fairly small working surfaces to deal with the power requirements. 5/8 sounds like a lot of work to get to usable size; I assume you have a cheap usable alloy source?  Finding a smaller one can greatly speed up the process!  Heavier/larger tools help with stresses from powered systems.  Of course you can try out different sizes, just remember that tongs designed for one size generally do NOT do as well for other sizes.  I see one being advertised that is 7mm shank of course that is being held in a larger handle.

(I've several times posted  here the story of an "art" vase turner who came by my smithy for special tooling to turn vase interiors---using carbide inserts as the cutting edges.)

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Planning to use automotive coil springs?  Foot powered systems generally use fairly small working surfaces to deal with the power requirements. 5/8 sounds like a lot of work to get to usable size; I assume you have a cheap usable alloy source?  Finding a smaller one can greatly speed up the process!  Heavier/larger tools help with stresses from powered systems.  Of course you can try out different sizes, just remember that tongs designed for one size generally do NOT do as well for other sizes.  I see one being advertised that is 7mm shank of course that is being held in a larger handle.

(I've several times posted  here the story of an "art" vase turner who came by my smithy for special tooling to turn vase interiors---using carbide inserts as the cutting edges.)

9/16 - 5/8" O-1 is pretty standard for pole lathe hook tools. Anything smaller tends to not be stiff enough to turn wooden bowls with -- too much flex. I've made several tools with 5/8" round stock and it hasn't been too bad -- one only had to forge the last couple of inches.

Thanks for the input!