I Forge Iron

First forge ever

Pedaltometal

So after doing some research in built my first forge, just as a hobby and start beating some steel. It's made from soft fire brick. And a Venturi adjustable burner. I fired it up for the first time today and with in minutes multiple bricks cracked, is that normal. I bought since for brick mortar that I planned to glue it all together once I saw that it worked and the size was sufficient. My only other concern is the shaft of the burner got pretty hot near the bottom and very warm about 100 degrees near the top, is that normal? Thanks for any help and advice, can't wait to learn from all the knowledgeable people here. Unfortunately I'm having a problem uploading photos

Welcome aboard, I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum.  READ THIS FIRST   It is full of tips like editing your profile to show your location because so many answers depend on knowing where in the world you are located. There are many other tips, some may help in flying under the moderators radar.:)

As far as the bricks cracking, yes because soft fire bricks do not take well to the rapid thermal cycling in a gas forge unless they are K26 bricks. I'm sure the folks who have been designing and building forges for decades will fill in the blanks. To upload pictures you need to resize them by 50% so they won't time out, large pictures take up a lot of bandwidth.

Unlike soft firebrick, Morgan's K series can be toughened up considerably, by applying a hard refractory coating to the inside of the forge; thus sealing the openings of its porous exteriors from flame damage. Sealing soft brick has little effect, since it doesn't solve it problems--all.

Where do you purchase these Morgan k firebricks. I purchased mine from xxxxxxxxxxxx they just say 2300 degree soft brick. I do I have it clamped together snuggly. Would it help at all gluing the bricks together with firebrick mortar. That was my original plan but now I'm afraid to take it apart that the bricks might just fall apart, or if over brick gets bad maybe I can replace them individually, which if glued won't be possible. My other concern was my burner gets pretty hot, but in assuming that's normal considering the end is almost in the forge

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/64996-building-a-firebrick-forge/

i wouldn't cement them they just need pressure.  The video will show you one way to obtain it.  however mikey is correct once it's together put a thin layer of refractory like kastolite or satanite then coat it in a kiln wash and you are good to go.  (assuming you are using morgan K series brick and i also thing the new Z bricks that are being designed would work)

I've taken to calling them Z bricks not sure if that is there actual name.  They are just a softbrick made from zirc instead of mulite.  I've only used a few but they seem to work as well if not better then the K series.  However I do not believe the price difference is worth it.  I pay about 4.50 to 6 for K26 bricks(depending on who has them) I pay 9 to 15 per brick for zirc.   http://www.ktrefractories.com/Zircon-Bricks.cfm