I Forge Iron

Frosty T theory question

MJTX

Is there a reason why the gas supply is sized down to 1/4" from the 3/8" tank source?

I was looking for a hose and regulator on Amazon and came across one that comes with a 3/8 flare MNPT x 1/8 MNPT

Would it be possible to tap the fitting for the mig tip and have all of the connections 3/8" upstream?

38 to 18 mnpt.jpg

propane hose.jpg

They're common sizes, propane hose is typically 3/8" Female Pipe Thread (FPT) The common size for 1/4" copper tubing flare fittings is 1/4" pipe. I do't know about other places but it's what I had to work with. 

I don't plumb my burners directly to a rubber hose for fire safety reasons. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, running straight from the tank would be concerning. I was going to add an elbow and a shut off to create some distance, plus it has a stainless hose.

Thanks again. Hopefully I can get this thing together soon.

14 minutes ago, Paul Kin said:

Careful! The hose is not stainless, just stainless braided on the outside. The hose itself is still just regular rubber propane hose so it is still susceptible to heat and will melt if your not careful. 

Duly noted! Thank you.

Stainless hoses give good cut resistance and can offer some resistance to something hot falling against them momentarily. However, their disadvantage is that if the rubber is damaged by something hot, you won't be able to see it.

8 hours ago, Paul Kin said:

No problem! Better safe then exploded!

For safety's sake, I think I must emphasize that this really should be "Better safe THAN exploded!"

Hey thats a really good idea... hmm I think I know where theres a scrap bin with some. How do you like those doors? I was thinking on building hinged doors like that for my forge. You dont loose to much heat? Sorry for the hijack!!