I Forge Iron

My Turn!

Hey everyone! I'm new to blacksmithing. Only done it once at a workshop here in AZ, but got hooked. It's been something I've looked into doing for a long time now, but never got off my butt to do it. Now I'm trying.

They only inhibiting factor at the moment is cashflow. I'm trying to find good deals on stuff, and that's tough, but I'll keep looking. Anyways, I'm glad I found this forum. It looks like a lot of sharp guys out there with some good advice. Maybe someday I'll be experienced enough to pay some people back with my own advice.

Thanks!

I'm in Scottsdale at the moment. I was thinking of building a gas forge, but I saw in the bladesmithing section a link to a pretty cool design for a coal forge that I may give a try. It was an aluminum washbasin that has an iron pipe for the ventilation, connected to a hand-crank blower. The tub was packed with adobe as a heat guard all the way up to (but not covering, obviously) the vent tube. Notches cut in both ends for long pieces of steel.

Anyways, if anyone is in the greater Phoenix area, I'd love to get together. A friend of mine is also as interested as I am. Triw, if you know anybody wanting to move a good used anvil, or forge, let me know.

Perhaps this is better in another thread, but I'll ask here as well. What's better for somebody like me starting out and only planning to do small object blacksmithing, gas or coal forge? Is there a big difference in cost, or heat produced? I know gas is more convenient and less work, but if coal is just as good, and perhaps cheaper, I could easily go that way.

Thanks again for the welcome!