I Forge Iron

MayBe a Hay-Budden??

Hi Guys, just bought this anvil and the seller told me it was a 255 Lb. There is literally no discernible makers mark on the side. Some say It’s a H-B, others disagree. The barely legible serial number on the foot under the horn reads 255   A30146. Any clue as to the maker or age or weight?

Welcome aboard...

Without pictures we would only be guessing. It would also help to know where in the world you are located. Just from the serial number it may be a 3rd generation Hay Budden, a picture of the underside of the base would confirm that. I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

Edited by Irondragon Forge & Clay
Add Thought.

Yes, I do not want to ask redundant questions so I have researched this site. There are lots of discussions concerning HB anvils and serial numbers however I’m just not entirely sure I have a HB anvil here. Hope the photos help! 

Btw, I’m up here in Northern NY. The anvil came out of Cooperstown NY

Thanks again for the help!

20CD3B4D-6860-4258-9A95-A927DB944070.jpeg

8271F348-215E-46F2-B315-10E00969B4EB.jpeg

3049FE02-A5A2-4059-821A-5C1AF63E7911.jpeg

D45F987E-FDA5-4259-A239-3BC21EF66E42.jpeg

With that hour glass indent on the base bottom, I don't think it's a Hay Budden. I can't remember which anvils had the hour glass but I'm sure someone will know.

BTW: we won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it.

The Caplet indent anvils are Trenton and some Arm & Hammer (they shared bases in an emergency)  Also the 255 is NOT a serial number it's a weight so you have the weight on the left side and the serial number on the right.

I won't be on till tomorrow once I get home to check AinA.  My guess is Trenton, another top American anvil brand. Now if the underside of the heel shows the steam hammer blows that would swing my call towards A&H, another top American brand.

If it's a good anvil the hot steel won't care a bit which exact brand it is...so the ring and ball bearing test is more important than who may have made it.

Hi Jim, you have a Trenton anvil there from 1902. Trenton anvils are the only anvil with weight on the left and serial number on the right. Early Trentons had the weight on the side of the anvil but only in the first year or two. So your's weighs 255lb. As Thomas pointed out the caplet is also on all but the very early Trentons. They are excellent anvils and 255 lb is a great size for the shop. I have a matched pair of 250 lb trentons made a year apart they are some of my favorite anvils. Just as a side note Arm & Hammer anvils always have the serial # on the left side of the foot and the weight on the side under the logo except for the very late production the last few years they put the weight on the right of the foot. If you can't see the logo the serial # and weight locations will identify it for you. I own many of both brands along with Hay Buddens you can't go wrong with any of those brands. Put it to use and enjoy your new anvil!

I have a 400# Trenton, a 165# HB, a 134# HB and a 91# Arm and Hammer; love them all and they all see regular work! (I teach a bit and so have to have multiple stations; except that the heavy ones don't travel!  (So I have a 112# PW as well.  3 travel anvils and 6 people max in a class!)