I Forge Iron

wierd business tax question

nitro

But if you sell to someone within your state the state will want you to collect and remit sales tax. That will require a state license for sales tax. And the feds (and state if applicable) will want it reported as income for collecting income tax; if you don't make enough money, this is often not worth the effort for them to try to track down everybody so if it is a few hundred a year or less you may get away with it. And some states will require a license regardless (and will charge a fee for it).
Some states put a lot of information on a website.

ron

in Wisconsin if you sell less than a thousand dollars retail in a year it is considered occasional sales and no tax need be collected or reported. Uncle Sam on the other hand may get cranky if you neglect to tell him.
Finnr

Nice work. I thought about doing some online sales and craft fairs but by the time I got through looking into it there were more troubles then navy beans. I had to get a permit to operate a business out of the house from the county, cottage industry you know, a state sales tax number to purchase material at lower rates and not pay sales tax. I had to collect that from customers. I then had to set up an account with the Dept. of Economic Security so I could pay Workman's comp insurance if I got injured on the job. Then if I made sales at any of the local craft fairs I needed city tax numbers from each city. One of my problems was they all wanted the estimated first quarter sales tax up front. I told them I had no idea so they gave me one, $100, OUCH! That was from the four closest cities and the state. That would be required each quarter weather I made sales or not to keep me honest. I decided that Arizona was not the place to be an entrepreneur just to much manure. I guess that I just hate dealing with bureaucrats to much to make it in this market place. :cool: