I Forge Iron

Untitled sculpture

Justin, It's forged 1" square mild steel and steel mesh. I sprayed it gold with silver highlights, the rest was finished in satin black. It stands exactly six inches high and to me is a more of a maquette for a much bigger piece (6 feet) than a stand alone work.

really love this piece Ian what did you form the face over?
If this is the maquette i would love to see the full size sculpture. in fact if you need assistance i am available!! Have you seen the sculptural face at Bedes World in Jarrow? It is amazing, and i think it is made from fine firescreen mesh.
Good work bud.

Thanks Adrian, I really appreciate it. Haven't seen that face but I'll try and find some images (I'm curious it might be David Begbie's work). The mesh was worked free hand, no moulds or such, some hand tools to push against like wooden dowling or a butter knife (LOL high tech eh?) for instance.
It was heavily influenced by Davids work and as his technical assistant and a Blacksmith I was really interested in seeing how the semi transparent mesh would work against solid heavily forged iron. This is the end result of that first experiment and I think it works, it certainly would on a much bigger scale I feel sure.

Edited by Ian

Thanks guys. I've been putting a few sketches together to explore how far this theme could be taken (Very far, it's got tremendous scope) The mesh is woven as its made at the factory, it's usually used in heavy industry as part of filtrations systems. Because it's woven it can be stretched and bunched and worked almost like a flat piece of clay ('almost' being the operative word!) it's a lot of pushing and pulling. Getting somthing recogniseable out of it is down to you :D

AS AN ASIDE:

APOLOGIES TO ALL BUT I MAY BE OFF THE FORUM FOR A WHILE, MY LAPTOP HAS BEEN HIT WITH A VIRUS OR HACKER AND IS OFFLINE UNTIL I CAN GET IT FIXED. EVERYTHING 'AFTER' OZ is at stake so I'm taking no chances.
I'm using the PC at Davids Studio today so at best I'll be checking in once a week till I can get the old faithful back up and running. Speak to you all soon I hope

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...