I Forge Iron

Emory Blagdon and his healing machine

pnut

• 2 weeks later...

He was a truly unique fellow. He reminds me of a few people I've met living in isolated places who have created some interesting spaces for themselves to live in. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I like to let others know about some of the truly amazing people who do things like that with no motivation other than the drive to create something.

Pnut

You might like the Salton Sea area, slab city, Salvation Mountain etc. Leonard Knight dedicated the last 30 years of his life to Salvation Mountain. We made a road trip at Christmas to Plam Springs with the intention of seeing everything. We saw the West side of the Salton Sea on the way up but on our way home, when we planned on seeing the Far more interesting East side, it poured rain so hard we barely got out of there as the highway was flooding in numerous areas.We saw the campground and Bombay Beach before we decided we had better get out. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvation_Mountain

Been there numerous times. I stayed at slab city for a couple weeks with a friend of mine I met on Grateful Dead tour. I was at slab city last in the early 2000's.  Do you know who Chief Rolling Mountain Thunder is? He built a pretty impressive compound in Nevada outside of lovock(sp) right off the highway.  There's folks like this all over the desert. I spent about six months alone in a little shack on the other side of the mountain from Lancaster/Palmdale area of California. It was a transformative experience and a good time in my life.  Just as an afterthought. On a bad day the Salton Sea smells so bad you can hardly stand it.

PBS is where I first learned about Emory Blagdon. Public television is the only TV I watch. I live in the middle of four markets so I get about ten or eleven PBS stations.

Pnut