I Forge Iron

Tom Joyce on "Craft in America"

pnut

If you look, there are a number of vids and lectures by Tom Joyce. They are all worth watching. 

I worked for him once or twice, and he sub'd out to me a part of a commission he had in my neck of the world.

He is both a gentle man and a gentleman. 

Here's a story for you. A long time ago I hitch hiked to a weekend SWABA workshop. Tom invited me to stay at his house. This was his first shop "down by the river", and not far from Turley Forge. The workshop was making a dragon head in one heat with a pneumatic hammer and custom made chisels from it's tooling. Well he did,,, from ears to scales out of heavy stock. I think out of maybe 1-1/2" square stock.

After dinner we "retired" to the shop and played far into the early morning. The first thing he said was,,, " you know, I think I can make a dragons head in one heat with my hand tools." And, of course, he proceeded to do just that. His statement when finished was classic. " I think that working at 7200 rpm just makes you feel like you are working faster!"

And that was a lesson that has influenced me to this day.

Yes, he and his family are from Oklahoma. His dad was a professor of archaeology/anthro, not sure which, and taught at one of the universities. They came out during the summer to do research and digs in the Sante Fe region. Then around his sophomore year Tom came out and went to work for a hardware Smith. The rest is history.

It was fun. He was down by the river and Turley Forge was at the top of the ridge and down and up a bit. There was a trail from Tom's shop that crossed the river to get to town. And a remembered restaurant called, I think, Maria's for dinner.

Thanks for the post,,, it's a great memory thread from a special time.  :)