I Forge Iron

Need help identifying a post vise

Robert W

I got this post vise when I bought my other blacksmithing tools and I'm cleaning it up.  It's a 6 inch vise and I believe it was made in the late 1800's. 

On the back side of one jaw is "ccc" I believe this was done at the factory but it could have been done by a previous owner.

There's also a date stamped into the backside of the other jaw. It reads "1899" I believe this is either the date it was made or someone stamped this on when they bought it.

Finally there is a diamond on the back of one jaw that reads "WW. & W. H. CC" inside of it

Any information on it would be much appreciated.

IMG_20200104_144235.jpg

IMG_20200104_144228.jpg

IMG_20200104_144215.jpg

IMG_20200104_144210.jpg

IMG_20200104_125807.jpg

Welcome aboard... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. It's full of tips on how to get the best out of the forum like editing your profile to show location, how to do the best search for subjects/information and how to keep the moderators happy. READ THIS FIRST

Not knowing where in the world you and your anvil are located, I'm going to guess that it's made by the Warren Tool CO. Cincinnati Ohio. It's a very good looking vise for sure. Could be a Columbian vise, which Warren bought out.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/SILNMAHTL_27478