I Forge Iron

Söding und Halbach anvils serial numbers

I have read many interesting topics in this forum so i decided to ask for help.

Do you guys know the meaning of serial numbers engraved on S&H anvils?  I know meaning of other symbols but Soding  und Halbach serial numbers have remained a mystery to me! This photo is not the best quality but it's visible serial number is No 2 .

Thanks in advance!

80872429_496481754320963_3735940271217573888_n.jpg

My south german double horn does not have the Söding and Halbach and is strangely marked in pounds. Not that the being marked in pounds part but what makes it kind of strange is I imported it from Austria to America. So it makes me think it was made to originally made to import here but never made it to to boat. But anyway I'm getting off track. What I was going to say is my anvil has the No.4 stamped around the 426 weight marking. It is stamped in 4 places I believe. I will get pictures tomorrow when I get out to the shop.

"No. X" markings on German anvils refer to what forge fire they have been forged at and by what crew. 
Should your anvil break, or show any other problems within the warrenty, whatever that was, then the crew of forge fire No. 2 has to repair the anvil. 
They are the people who made the anvil, so they know the best how to treat that particular anvil for best results. 

On Söding and Halbach anvils, I have seen numbers up to No. 12. - meaning there were at least 12 separate forge fires. 
Which makes sense, as they produced MANY anvils of MANY different sizes and types, amongst other tooling. 

On 1/4/2020 at 10:24 PM, TechnicusJoe said:

"No. X" markings on German anvils refer to what forge fire they have been forged at and by what crew. 
Should your anvil break, or show any other problems within the warrenty, whatever that was, then the crew of forge fire No. 2 has to repair the anvil. 
They are the people who made the anvil, so they know the best how to treat that particular anvil for best results. 

On Söding and Halbach anvils, I have seen numbers up to No. 12. - meaning there were at least 12 separate forge fires. 
Which makes sense, as they produced MANY anvils of MANY different sizes and types, amongst other tooling. 

Thankj You for this information, this is something I did not know! 

Benona blacsmith we are waiting for photos of Your south german beauty!

On 1/5/2020 at 3:58 AM, Benona blacksmith said:

Joe...have you seen many German anvils marked in pounds?

I can't remember seeing any German-made anvil with its weight in pounds. 

I have a Söding & Halbach anvil, forged in 1881 - that is 9 years before your anvil - which has its weight marked in kilograms. 
So I'd think your anvil weighs 426kgs - 938lbs. 

If it is marked in pounds, it would only weigh 193kgs.  These anvils are marked in kgs. 
If yours is marked in pounds, that is something else. It must have been requested, and not the norm. 

On 1/8/2020 at 6:36 AM, TechnicusJoe said:

I can't remember seeing any German-made anvil with its weight in pounds. 

I have a Söding & Halbach anvil, forged in 1881 - that is 9 years before your anvil - which has its weight marked in kilograms. 
So I'd think your anvil weighs 426kgs - 938lbs. 

If it is marked in pounds, it would only weigh 193kgs.  These anvils are marked in kgs. 
If yours is marked in pounds, that is something else. It must have been requested, and not the norm. 

426 kg would be a really heavy weight anvil and a very rare to find. I think Benona's blacksmith anvil is not a S&H, maybe on the other side it has a producer logo?

• 4 weeks later...